Add and Build Assembly Items
An assembly must be defined and then built to make it available to sell.
(Multi-store) Only Headquarters can define an assembly item. Once defined, both Headquarters and remote stores can build (or break) assemblies as needed; Headquarters for any store; remote stores for the local store only.
To define and build assemblies:
1. Be sure all component items have been added to inventory individually.
2. From you item list, click Add.
3. Enter a descriptive name for the assembly item in the Item Name field.
4. In the item Type field, select Assembly.
5. Specify a Department (required) and a Vendor (optional).
If the items included in the assembly come from more than one department or vendor, you may want to set up a new department and/or vendor called Assemblies, or similar, to track and report the sale of assembly items.
6. Enter information in other item fields as appropriate.
- You CANNOT enter an On-Hand Quantity or Average Unit Cost at this time. The quantity will be created when you “build” the assemblies; the average unit cost will be automatically calculated as the sum of the average unit costs of the component items. This cost will be recalculated each time you build or break assemblies.
- Optionally, enter a Regular Price. If a price isn’t entered, Point of Sale will auto-fill the field with the sum of the component item prices once they are added. You can edit the price later, if needed.
- Enter a Tax Code. The entire assembly will be taxed (or not) based on this code. You cannot mix taxable and non-taxable item component items in an assembly.
- To include the assembly item on Build Point reports and reorder Reminders (to be reminded to build more of the assembly) enter the minimum desired on-hand quantity in the Reorder Point field.
7. Click Save. The assembly item is added to your item list and displayed with details.
8. Click the Assembly button next to the item Type field. The Assembly Details window is displayed. The information entered so far is shown on the left and the grid on right is used to display the component items in the assembly.
9. Click Edit Assembly.
10. In the Scan or enter item information drop-down box, scan or type item information to search for the item to add.
11. Specify the quantity of the component item.
12. By default, each item is listed with a quantity of one. Click the Qty+ and Qty- button to quickly increase/decrease by one or click the Qty button to enter another number. Quantity is the only editable field for the component items.
13. Repeat to add all items in the assembly.
14. Click Build at the top of the window.
- Headquarters in multi-store only: Specify the store for which you are building the assemblies.
- The Build Assembly dialog is displayed, notifying you of the maximum number of assemblies that can be built. This number is based on the available on-hand quantities of the component items.
15. Specify the number of assemblies you wish to build and then select Build.
16. Click OK on the confirmation dialog.
17. Click Save.
When assemblies are built, the on-hand quantity of the assembly item is increased by the quantity you choose to build. The on-hand quantity of each component item is reduced by the total number included in the built assemblies.
Quantity and cost adjustment memos are automatically created to adjust inventory when building assemblies. The logged in user’s name will be entered on the memo, along with appropriate comments (“Assembly created from inventory”) and reason (“Creat Asm”). If users are not required to log in, you will be prompted to enter a user name for the memo(s) upon creation.
An assembly item can be a component item of another assembly item.
Return to top