Although there are no regular functions that need to be performed to maintain your QuickBooks company file, there are some that Intuit recommends to keep your file running in tip-top condition:
- Make sure to take daily backup and use the full verify mode. Backup of QuickBooks data file can be done in 3 modes:
- Full Verify – This makes sure that QB does exhaustive check of the company file health before creating the backup.
- Quick Verify – QB does some quick check on company file health checks.
- No Verify – No verification is done.
- QB Services recommends the full verify option. That way if an issue is reported, the user can always rebuild the file by going to:
- File -> Utilities -> Rebuild data file.
Most of the time, this will fix the issue. You can set the verify mode during backups by using the Option button in the wizard.
If there are too much DB/File fragments then you can try creating a portable file and restoring it back which generally helps in reducing the file fragment.
For more information on this, please see my post on, “Repairing corrupted QuickBooks data files“.