You are logged in as a specific user when you are using QuickBooks. QuickBooks automatically creates the Admin user for you. You may also add other users. You may also enter a challenge question to help you reset a forgotten password. You can change or eliminate your passwords if they are forgotten, lost, or just unnecessary. If you have ever accepted credit cards, you may need to take some additional steps.
If you know your admin password and want to change it:
Solution 1: Change your admin password in QuickBooks
- With your company file open, choose Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Change Your Password.
- In the Current Password field, enter your current admin password.
- In the New Password field and the Confirm New Password field, enter your new password.
- In the QuickBooks login screen, click I forgot my password.
- Answer the security question and click OK.
- Click Close when you see this message: Your password and challenge answer and question have been removed, and your company file is no longer password-protected. When you close this window, you will be asked to create your new password and select and answer your challenge question.
- The Change Password window opens. Enter a new password and new challenge question.
- Click OK. Your will file open.
Solution 2: Reset your admin password using a reset code (access token)
- Now built into QuickBooks 2011 R6 and newer and QuickBooks 2010 R12 and newer
Note: If the instructions below aren’t working for you, you may contact a QB Services agent for assistance: 952-232-6388
- Click the I forgot my answer link.
- In the fields provided, enter your information
Important: The information you enter will be compared to the same information provided when QuickBooks was first registered.
- License number
- Email address
- Business phone number
- Zip code
- Click the Next button.
If the information matches, you will receive an email with a Password Reset code (or access token).
What if my information doesn’t match?
- Check the information with your records or the person that registered your QuickBooks.
- If you are unable to provide information that matches, contact a technical support agent for additional guidance.
- Enter the Password Reset code (or access token) and click the Next button.
- Enter your new password in the New Password and Confirm New Password fields.
- Click the Challenge Question drop-down and select a Challenge Question.
- Enter your Answer in the Answer field.
- Click Ok.
Other Password Tips
- Passwords are case sensitive. Check the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys. One (or both) might be on, or could have been on when you created the password.
- Passwords cannot contain spaces. Reenter the password without spaces.
- Your keyboard might not be functioning correctly. Try typing some text in another program such as Notepad to be sure your keyboard is working.
- You may be seeing an incorrect login screen. A login screen that asks for a password but does not ask for a user name is the administrator’s login screen. If that screen appears and you have a non admin login, close QuickBooks, and then reopen it.
- The password may actually be blank. Some users prefer to leave the Admin password to their data file empty, or blank. Note: Intuit does not recommend this practice, for security reasons. Try clicking OK in the login screen without entering a password. (You will get the login screen when the Admin password is blank if you have more users in the file than just the Admin user.)
- Accessibility Settings can prevent a password from being accepted. To check this:
- Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
- Select Accessibility Options.
- Be sure none of the boxes on any of the tabs are checked.