Use this procedure to add a new item to your inventory. You can also read specific procedures for adding non-inventory, assembly, group, style or service items.
- Your ability to perform this task may be limited by security rights.
- You can add a new item while making a sale or creating another document.
To add a new inventory item:
* Indicates a required field.
Open your item list, and then click Add from the window toolbar.
Enter the * Item Name/Item Name. This is the short item description that is printed on sales receipts. The field label can be customized.
Navigate through the sections and fields of the item form, entering information as appropriate . Following are descriptions of the most commonly used fields in each section.
- Vendor: Select the primary vendor from which you order this item. (Pro) Click the Alt Vend button to add alternate vendors and their order costs.
- Order Cost: Enter an order cost, if known, for your primary vendor. This is what you currently pay your vendor for one unit of the item.
- Reorder Point: Enter a quantity if you want Point of Sale to remind you when it is time to order more of the item.
- (Multi-Store HQ) Click the View All button to enter/view reorder points for each store individually.
- *Item Number: Suggested by the system, but can be edited.
- Alternate Lookup: Enter an alternate lookup value that can be used to quickly add the item to documents. Learn more about these item identifiers.
- Base Unit: When using multiple units of measure, the smallest quantity by which an item is sold or purchased. Learn more.
- (Pro) Click the Units button to add additional units of measure.
- Manufacturer: Enter the item manufacturer. This name can be used to search for an item or to filter reports.
Misc and Shipping
- Print Tags: Select to include this item when printing tags. For items that you do not tag, clear the checkbox. This will help prevent inadvertently printing the tags when the item is included on a document or in a list for which you are printing tags.
- Add to Mobile: Select to include this item to display on your mobile device.
- Unorderable: select to have the item’s reorder point temporarily ignored and alerted if the item is added to a purchase order or receiving voucher. This option can be used to remove seasonal or discontinued merchandise from your reorder reminders and reports.
- Use Serial #: (Pro) Select to be prompted to enter serial numbers when this item is listed on a document.
- Earn Commission: (Pro) Select to include sales of this item when calculating commissions for your associates.
- Shipping Weight, Height, Length, Width: (Pro) Enter shipping specifications to use when shipping the item.
- Define QuickBooks Item Account Information
- Available only if integrated with QuickBooks financial software. You can customize the way item transactions are sent to QuickBooks by specifying QuickBooks accounts here.
- By default, the item accounts are auto-filled using the default item accounts specified in company preferences, but you can change them on an item basis on this window.
If you have any further information