When trying to open your company file in Point of Sale, you see the following error:
Failed to open company
Why is this happening?
- Damage to the company file
- Company file was converted to Point of Sale Version 2013 or higher using a Windows XP SP2 Operating System
Solution 1: Create a test company file and then try again
- Open Point of Sale.
- From the Start Company screen, select create new company, and then click Next.
- In the Company Name field, type Test, and then click Create.
- Once the test file opens, choose File > Company operations, and click Next.
- Select open existing company, choose your company file, and click Next.
Solution 2: Restore a backup
- Open Point of Sale and select the Test company file.
- Choose File > Company operations.
- Select Restore from backup and click Next.
- Select Browse to alternate backup file and click Browse.
- In the left window, navigate to:
- Select the most recent backup and click Next. This will restore your company file to the date and the time the backup was created.
Solution 3: Rename the Company File
- Go to the location of your Company File
- Windows 7 and 8: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS 11.0\Data\“Your Company Name”
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS 11.0\Data\“Your Company Name”
- Rename the Company File
- From the Company File location, right click the file name, select rename and enter the new file name
Note: If you do not want to change the entire name, you may add a letter or number at the end of the name
- Open your Company File in Point of Sale again