Import QuickBooks Items
Multistore: This option is available at Headquarters only.
You may have existing items in QuickBooks that you now want to track in Point of Sale. You can easily import these items to Point of Sale at any time, making them available to list on Point of Sale documents. Importing your QuickBooks items is optional. After importing, inventory items are not routinely exchanged between the two programs. The imported items should be tracked only in Point of Sale after import.
After the two programs are integrated, you will be prompted to import your QuickBooks items each time you open your item list in Point of Sale until you elect to import or indicate that you do not want to import. Choose Ask Me again Later if you plan to import, but are not ready to do at this time.
To manually initiate an import of your QuickBooks items:
Make sure your QuickBooks financial software is running and in single-user mode.
Select Import QuickBooks Items from the Financial menu or from the Advanced Options page of the Financial Center.
More Information about Importing QuickBooks Items
– What are the benefits of importing my QuickBooks Items?
- Saves time: There is no need for you to manually re-enter your QuickBooks financial software item information in Point of Sale. Your imported items are immediately available for use in Point of Sale.
- Efficiency: Consolidating items in Point of Sale program results in more efficient purchasing and inventory control and more meaningful reporting.
- Fewer data-entry errors: Less manual data entry means a lower likelihood of data entry errors.
– Are there reasons I may not want to import my QuickBooks Items?
- Item information in your financial software is not current: If you have a large number of outdated inventory items in QuickBooks, you might not want this data transferred to Point of Sale. If this is the case, you might want to take some time to clean up your QuickBooks item list by updating older records and deleting or inactivating unused ones. You can always import these items later.
- QuickBooks items not defined to take advantage of advanced inventory features of Point of Sale: Such as grouping your items into styles (a Pro feature). Since QuickBooks financial software does not have similar features, it may be easier to start fresh by manually entering your items in Point of Sale in order to take full advantage of these features.
Warning: If you have existing inventory items in your QuickBooks financial software, choose not to import them, and then manually add those same items and quantities to Point of Sale, your financial software inventory value can be erroneously increased.
– Can I import QuickBooks items later?
If you elect not to import your QuickBooks items when prompted, but want to later, you can do so by selecting Import QuickBooks Items from the Financial menu or from the Financial Center in Point of Sale.
– Can I import some items and not others?
All of your QuickBooks inventory items will be imported unless you choose to import only selected items. You will not be able to order, receive, or sell non-imported items in Point of Sale (unless you enter them manually).
Most users will want to import all their existing items. However, there may be good reasons to import only selected items:
- You may have items in QuickBooks that you do not resell. For example, shopping bags or cleaning supplies. You may want these items defined in QuickBooks financial software to accurately keep track of supply costs, but since it does not affect point-of-sale activities, there is no reason for the item to be in Point of Sale. You could choose not to import the item, and instead track it in QuickBooks financial software.
- You may have a large number of outdated items which you no longer use in QuickBooks financial software. Rather than delete such items or make them inactive in the financial software, you may prefer not to import them. This way, you still have an active record of these items in your financial software in case you need them in the future.
Note: If you choose to “divide” your inventory, meaning you track certain items in your financial software and others in Point of Sale, you will only be able to conduct activities regarding a particular item in the program that tracks it. For instance, you cannot track item quantities in QuickBooks financial software, but order it on a purchase order in Point of Sale.
– Can I control how my imported inventory items are described in Point of Sale?
During the import process, you can specify how the QuickBooks item descriptive fields are populated to the Point of Sale item descriptive fields.
QuickBooks item descriptive fields
Can be populated to one of these Point of Sale fields…
|Item Name (printed on sales receipts) or Description 2|
|Item Name or Item Description|
Note: In Point of Sale, the names of the Item Name and Item Description fields can be renamed to better meet your needs, Pro-level users can also customize printed documents to include the fields you wish.