Setup your QuickBooks Point of Sale right the first time
After walking through the QuickBooks Point of Sale setup interview, the first thing you will need to do with your QuickBooks Point of Sale installation is to enter all your various data for the aspects of your store and inventory. Refer to the following in setting up the various pieces of data for your new store:
In most retail businesses, related merchandise is grouped into departments. Establishing and using departments is a good way to monitor sales performance, manage inventory, and run meaningful reports, which will help you to make informed buying decisions. A well-designed department structure will also save you time and give you greater flexibility when conducting a physical inventory, changing prices, and printing tags.
How many departments should you have? That depends on the level of detail you wish to see on reports and how you want to work with categories of items with tasks, such as changing prices or talking inventory. Use the Plan Your Departments link above for some ideas and guidance on this important decision.
Each department must be identified by a unique department name. Departments can also be identified by a department code which can be used to search for a department record and is printed on price tags. Each item added to your inventory then must be assigned to one of your departments. Department options, such as default tax codes and profit margin/markup are automatically suggested when you assign new items to a department in inventory. Assigning inventory items to departments allows Point of Sale to track and report on the merchandise in each department as it is ordered, received, and sold.
(Multistore) Remote stores can view department records and use them to filter reports, but only Headquarters can add or edit departments.
Add a Customer
It is helpful to be consistent when entering customer information. Consistently using the same data format makes it easier to sort, search, and look up customer records.
To add a customer:
- From the Home Page Customers menu, select New Customer.
- From your Customer List, click the Add button.
- From the Customer field on a sales receipt, click the [+] icon and then choose Add New Customer.
A blank customer form is displayed.
Navigate through the sections on the customer form and enter name, contact, and optional information for the customer:
|Expand each section of the form by clicking the small triangle icon to the right of the label:|
- Name: The Last (Name) field is required to save a customer record, unless Track as Company is selected (see below).
- Track as Company (Pro): Allows you to record customer PO numbers on transactions for the customer and display the company name throughout Point of Sale (in the Full Name field). With this selection, Company (Name) is a required entry.
- Contact Info: Enter the customer’s phone, e-mail, and address.
- Customer Notes: Add whatever notes might be helpful, such as birthday, clothing sizes, gift preferences, etc.
- Custom Fields (Pro): You can define and use custom fields to record additional information. Using custom fields allows you to use the information to filter reports.
- QuickBooks Options: Use these settings to control sharing of customer information with QuickBooks financial software and to set up and maintain charge accounts for the customer.
- R Use with QuickBooks: Select this checkbox share this customer’s information with QuickBooks. A company preference controls the default setting of this option.
- R Charge Account: Select to allow charges for this customer and enter an account limit.
- Customer Settings: Use this area to set other options:
- Customer ID (Pro): Customer IDs are automatically assigned to new customers and can be used to print scannable ID cards.
- Rewards Member (Pro): If offering a Rewards program, elect the checkbox to enroll this customer.
- Alternate contact info: Enter additional phone numbers.
- Customer Type: Categorize your customers in ways that are meaningful to your business.
- Tax Location: Specify a customer tax location for special tax handling (Set up can use a 0% tax location for tax-exempt customers).
- Customer Discounts: If applicable, click the Discount button and specify a customer discount or price level to suggest on all sales to the customer.
- Accept Checks: Select the checkbox if checks are to be accepted for payment from this customer.
- Addresses (Pro): Use this area to enter additional shipping addresses and print shipping labels. The address entered in the Contact Info section is automatically added as the default shipping address. Select the Do not mail to Bill To Address checkbox to prevent this and then click Add to enter alternate shipping addresses (up to ten). Designate one as the default. The default shipping address will be suggested when you add shipping information to sales receipts.
Add a New Vendor
Multistore Note: In a multi-store configuration, only Headquarters can add or edit vendors.
To create a new vendor record:
- Select New Vendor from the Purchasing menu.
- A blank vendor form is opened.
- Make entries in the vendor information fields, as needed. (*Company is a required field.)
|Optional alphanumeric code, up to 3 characters, identifying the vendor. This code is printed on price tags and can be used to lookup and list the vendor on another record or document.|
|Vendor company name. Required.|
Contact and Address Fields
|Vendor contact name(s), address, and phone numbers.|
|Select this checkbox to hide unused vendors from the active vendor list and to stop exchanging the vendor’s information with QuickBooks Financial software.|
|Optional notes, such as shipping lead time, FOB point, etc.|
|Your account number with the vendor. This number is printed on purchase orders and receiving vouchers that are created for the vendor.|
|Default payment terms for the vendor. These terms are suggested on purchase orders and receiving vouchers made for the vendor. Shared with QuickBooks, if integrated.|
||The vendor’s e-mail address. Entering an e-mail address allows you to send an e-mailfrom the vendor record and to e-mail documents, such as purchase orders, from within Point of Sale.|
|Record the vendor’s web address URL. Click Go to Web to launch your browser and view the site. Internet connection required.|
Custom Fields (Pro)
|Define and use up to seven custom fields to track information not included in the basic fields. Once defined, these fields can be used to filter your vendor list and reports, and can be added to customized print templates (such as purchase orders and receiving vouchers).|
(QuickBooks financial software users only)
|Vendor list only. Displays the Financial Exchange status of the record: Not Posted (not yet sent to QuickBooks), Completed (sent to QuickBooks), or Error (attempting to send QuickBooks resulted in an error).|
Add a New Inventory Item
- Your ability to perform this task may be limited by security rights.
- You can add a new item while making a sale or creating another document. .
To add a new inventory item:
- Open your item list, and then click Add from the window toolbar.
- A new item form is opened.
- Enter the Item Name. This is the short item description that is printed on sales receipts. The field label can be customized.
- Navigate through the sections and fields of the item form, entering information as appropriate. Following are descriptions of the most commonly used fields in each section.
- More detailed explanation are located in the item fields topic.
Note: * indicates a required field.
- *Item Type – Leave set to Inventory. If you wish to add a different item type, click a link for specific instructions: non-inventory, assembly, group, style or service items.
- *Department – Select the department to which the item belongs from the drop-down list.
- Item/Description 2 – Secondary, long description field used to record additional information. This field label can be customized to meet your needs.
- Size – Enter the size for the item (if applicable). If using abbreviations, try to be consistent, e.g., Sm, Md. and Lg for example. Consistent entries will make filtering and finding items in inventory and on reports easier. This field can also be used to describe a second item attribute other than size if desired. This field label can be customized.
- (Pro) To add a line of related items differing only by size/attribute, click the Style button to enter the size and attribute combinations. .
- Attribute – Use to describe an item characteristic, such as the color, pattern, material, or a second size. This field label can be customized.
- Reg Price – Enter your regular sale price or leave blank and let Point of Sale use a department pricing formula to calculate it for you.
- Click the Pricing button for additional price fields.
- Avg Unit Cost – Enter a value if this is an existing item in your store on program startup or if you know the cost for a newly ordered item. If you leave this field blank, Point of Sale will auto-fill it with the cost when the item is received on a receiving voucher and maintain it by averaging the item cost over time.
- On-Hand Qty – Enter a value if this is an existing inventory item in your store on program startup. If you are defining a new item that you will be ordering, leave this field blank for now and Point of Sale will auto-fill it when you receive the item on a receiving voucher.
- (Multistore HQ) Click the Available button to enter existing on-hand quantities at other stores.
- Tax – Review the tax field and select a tax code if necessary. If you defined a default tax code in the associated department record it will be suggested for the item.
- UPC – Scan or type the UPC code. about these item identifiers.
- Quick Pick Group – If you’ve defined Quick Pick Groups in your inventory preferences, you can assign an item to one of those groups to use with the Quick Pick Item feature on sales receipts and receiving vouchers.
- Vendor – Select the primary vendor from which you order this item. (Pro) Click the Alt Vend button to add alternate vendors and their order costs.
- Order Cost – Enter an order cost, if known, for your primary vendor. This is what you currently pay your vendor for one unit of the item.
- Reorder Point – Enter a quantity if you want Point of Sale to remind you when it is time to order more of the item.
- (Multistore HQ) Click the View All button to enter/view reorder points for each store individually.
- *Item Number – Suggested by the system, but can be edited.
- Alternate Lookup – Enter an alternate lookup value that can be used to quickly add the item to documents. about these item identifiers.
- Base Unit – When using multiple units of measure, the smallest quantity by which an item is sold or purchased.
- (Pro) Click the Units button to add additional units of measure.
- Manufacturer – Enter the item manufacturer. This name can be used to search for an item or to filter reports.
- Use this free-form text Comments field to enter any pertinent item information not covered by another item field.
Misc and Shipping
- Print Tags – Select to include this item when printing tags. For items that you do not tag, clear the checkbox. This will help prevent inadvertently printing the tags when the item is included on a document or in a list for which you are printing tags.
- Add to Mobile – Select to include this item to display on your mobile device.
- Unorderable – select to have the item’s reorder point temporarily ignored and alerted if the item is added to a purchase order or receiving voucher. This option can be used to remove seasonal or discontinued merchandise from your reorder reminders and reports.
- Use Serial # – (Pro) Select to be prompted to enter serial numbers when this item is listed on a document.
- Earn Commission – (Pro) Select to include sales of this item when calculating commissions for your associates.
- Shipping Weight, Height, Length, Width – (Pro) Enter shipping specifications to use when shipping the item.
- Define QuickBooks Item Account Information – Available only if integrated with QuickBooks financial software. You can customize the way item transactions are sent to QuickBooks by specifying QuickBooks accounts here.
By default, the item accounts are auto-filled using the default item accounts specified in company preferences, but you can change them on an item basis on this window.