The Verify Data function in the Point of Sale debug menu finds data damage in your company file:
- Transaction damage.
- List damage.
- SQL table structure damage
But it can find only damage that it is programmed to find.
When should I run Verify?
- When you suspect data damage
- Missing data after installing an update or upgrading a file to a newer version
- Error messages that occur only for certain customer’s, items, vendors etc.
If a specific list is taking longer than usual to load
When directed by a knowledge base article or by an Intuit support engineer.
We cannot say how long your Verify will take. Small files take a few minutes, large files may take hours.
Your computer may appear frozen or you might see “QuickBooks Point of Sale is not responding.” If you move mouse and the mouse pointer moves, then Verify Data is still working.
The amount of time that will be spent running a Verify Data depends on the size of the file, the speed of the machine and the condition of both.
DO BACK UP YOUR FILE REGULARLY
- This should be a part of your daily routine.
DO RUN THE CLEAN UP COMPANY DATA UTILITY
- Choose the option to compress the data and run the utility.
- This should be part of your regular file maintinence.
DO RUN VERIFY ON THE COMPUTER ON WHICH THE DATA FILE IS STORED
- Point of Sale will only allow you to run the Verify Data utility on the system where the data is stored.
DO RUN VERIFY IN SINGLE USER MODE
- You can run Verify in single or multiuser mode.
- Please make sure that all users are logged out of other workstations while running the Verify Utility.
Running the Verify Utility
- Go to Help>About Point-of-Sale and a Point-of-Sale information window appears.
- You will need to press 4 keys simultaneously: (Left CTRL) (Left ALT) (D) (B)
- Nothing will appear to change once the keys are pressed; however, a change is occurring in the back end of Point-of-Sale.
- Close the Point-of-Sale information window and go back to Help > About Point-of-Sale.
- You will now see a Debug option at the bottom of the Help drop-down.
- NOTE: If the debug menu does not show up, try the second step again.
- If it still does not show up, close Point-of-Sale, go to your task manager ( (CTRL) (ALT) (DELETE) ), and end the HKCMD.exe process and try to bring up debug again.
- From the Debug Menu choose the option to Verify Data
- DO NOT attempt to cancel a Verify while it is running
- If the verify completes without any errors you will receive the following message:
- If the Verify Data returns any issues the messaging will vary.
- Please make sure to note the exact message returned by the Verify Data
Validation Completed Successfully. No Errors Found
- Close the message window and see if the issue persists
- If not, you are done
- If yes, continue with normal data troubleshooting
All other validation messages
- Continue by running the Clean Up Company Data Utility in POS
- If the Clean Up Utility does not resolve the issue, escalate to data services
- Before escalating the case to data services please make sure to document the exact error message returned from the Verify Data.