If you sync your company file from one computer and then move it to another computer, you need to reset data sync. For example, if:
- You bought a new computer and want to set up your synced company file on it.
- Your hard disk crashed and you want to use your backup company file to set up sync on another computer.
- You accidentally deleted the Sync Manager folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Intuit\SyncManager in Windows XP or C:\Users\AppData\Local\Intuit\SyncManager in Windows 7 or Vista.) and Sync Manager doesn’t show your company’s name.
- You removed your file from syncing using the Remove file from syncing option and now want to resume sync for the file.
Important: Use caution when resetting data sync to avoid losing data. The company file must sync from only one computer. If a copy of the company file is syncing from another computer, you must disable sync or remove file from syncing on that computer before you click the Reset Data Sync option on the new computer.
Reset Data Sync is available only in QuickBooks 2012, QuickBooks 2011, QuickBooks 2010 R3 and later, and QuickBooks 2009 R9 and later. Be sure that QuickBooks automatic update is turned on so that you have the latest version.
You will lose data if:
- You copy a syncing company file from another computer to a new computer and then click Reset Data Sync on the new computer.
To avoid losing data: Disable data sync for the company file on the other computer first.
- You back up and restore a syncing company file on a new computer without using the Suspend Sync or Clear Sync option on the other computer.
To avoid losing data: Disable the sync for the original file if you are restoring it on a new computer. Refer to Move, copy, or rename a synced company file and Backup and restore a synced company file if you plan to restore your file on the first computer.
Note: If you’re restoring a backup and using Reset Data Sync, restore the latest backup to ensure that your file has all the latest data.
To start syncing your company file from a new computer:
- Check to be sure that a copy of the same company file is not syncing from another computer. If there is, disable sync from that computer.
- In QuickBooks, choose Help > Manage Data Sync > Reset Intuit Sync Manager.Important: Be sure you have disabled sync or removed the file from Intuit Sync Manager on the first computer before resetting data sync.
- In the message that appears, click Reset Data Sync.
- If an error occurs while attempting to reset data syncing, follow the instructions on the error message.
- Sign in to Intuit Sync Manager using your Intuit account information for this company file.
- Sync Manager completes the setup and tells you whether it was successful.
Note: After you reset Intuit Sync Manager, it is necessary for the sync to run twice to ensure that all the data from your company file is uploaded to your online applications and all the data from your online applications is downloaded to your company file. If you do not have Intuit Sync Manager set to run automatically or your automatic sync is set to run infrequently, then open Intuit Sync Manager and click Sync Now.